Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Made a Romance Skeptic Swoon

I am not the biggest fan of romance as it's portrayed in books and movies. I find myself rolling my eyes at a lot of things classified as romantic, both in real life and in books and movies, but there are some portrayals of romance that I will grudgingly admit make me swoon. Here's ten of my favorite book romances (some go way back to my teenage years) that I got embarrassingly caught up in. 
 

1. The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen
Like every teenage girl, I loved Sarah Dessen. This was the first book of hers that I read and I remember being so in love with the romance, and the male interest, Wes, specifically. The fact that I can even remember his name after all these years proves how much I loved him.

2. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares 
These books were so important to me as a teen, and I loved them so fiercely. The romances were so amazing for teenage me, and I remember going through a roller-coaster of emotions for Bridget's and Lena's romances specifically. I was so heartbroken over the book three events concerning Lena and Kostos. 

3. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
This is still the saddest book I have ever read, and my teenage self was so enthralled by this romance. I felt so grown-up reading it and felt every emotion so deeply. The movie version is NOTHING compared to the novel, and I still really recommend this one. 

 

4. Persuasion by Jane Austen
This is my favorite romance out of the Austen's I have read so far. Anne and Captain Wentworth's romance was so agonizing and I was on the edge of my seat waiting for them to communicate their feelings to one another, even though I knew how the story would ultimately end. That deceleration of love!- The best I've ever read.  

5. Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli 
I was so giddy over this romance! I had a huge smile on my face for the whole novel and I can't wait to see this one played out on film! This story is so well-done and so much fun. 

6. The Diary of Bridget Jones by Helen Fielding
Bridget Jones and Mark Darcy Forever! These books are so funny and Bridget is so real and endearing. The movies are some of my favorites too. Even though they are completely different from the novels, both stories are brilliant. 

 

7. The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater 
I don't want to spoil anything just in case you haven't gotten to these books yet, but a romance between two main characters in this novel is so swoon worthy. I wasn't really impressed by the main romance in the novel, but the side romance had me on the edge of my seat for the whole series. 

8.  Places No One Knows by Brenna Yovanoff
Something about this book really spoke to me. Perhaps it was the magical realism idea of visiting each other in their dreams, but this romance really caught me off guard and I liked this novel so much more than I expected to. 

9. The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon
I devoured this novel about first love and fate and had butterflies the whole time! This romance was so sweet and nostalgic, but there was a lot more to this book than just the romance which I appreciated. 

10. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz
Another book that I devoured; I couldn't put this down. I loved the romance in this one so much as well as the other themes that were woven in. This is one I can see myself rereading for ages to come. 

6 comments:

  1. I also love the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, and the love between the sisterhood (and Lena and Kostos too!)
    The Time Traveller's Wife is probably the first 'romance' book that I really liked; it's a twisted romance with a lot of layers but powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time Traveler's Wife had sooo much going on! I agree that it was layered!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Nice list, Mallory! I love Simon and Blue and Anne and Captain Wentworth are a great choice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha I'm a romance skeptic too, well sort of, I describe myself as a cynical romantic, I love the idea of falling in love and am a sucker for romantic movies, but in practice, I'm totally cynical. I remember loving Sisterhood of The Traveling Pants and The Time Traveler's Wife when I read them too.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/02/13/top-ten-tuesday-146/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to reread the Sisterhood series and see if they live up to my teenage love of them.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete