Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: The Classics You Really Should Have Read in School (Hidden Gems)

We all know how much I love talking about under-rated classics, so of course I was going to spin this week's hidden gems topic in that fashion. High school and college English classes are always assigning the same reading material, and while most of it is really good, it would be nice to switch it up every once and a while. So here are ten hidden gem classics that I think deserve a spot on syllabus lists everywhere. Unsurprisingly, you will note that 8/10 of these works are written by women. It's 2017 people, let's get some women on our syllabuses!  
Hosted by: The Broke and the Bookish



1. Passing by Nella Larson
I've talked about this one in regard to hidden gems a couple of times on the blog. This is an amazing novel about race, women, and Harlem in the 1920s. I really need to reread this one soon.

2. The End of the Affair by Graham Greene
This short novel packs quite a powerful punch as it covers a lot of really big themes. It comments on religious faith, romantic love, and keeping a sense of self while in a romantic relationship. This is the only Greene I have read so far, even though I own quite a few, so I really need to get to more of his works.

3. We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
I just recently finished this one, so I haven't even reviewed it yet, but it's safe to say that this novel has officially cemented my love of Shirley Jackson. This short novel is eerie, thought provoking, and loveable.


 

4. Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton
This novella has been one of my favorites for quite a while, and I talk about it any chance I get. I love the straightforward story line that Wharton amps up by creating complex characters and intricate symbols. Wharton is another author that I need to dive into along with Greene. Suggestions on where to start with her novels are much appreciated!

5. The Kiss by Kate Chopin 
Chopin is a genius, and although at least one of her short stories can usually be found on a reading list, either "Desiree's Baby" or "The Story of an Hour," her shortest story, "The Kiss" is my favorite. Chopin writes powerful feminist literature that gets better and better every time you read it.

6. In Our Time by Ernest Hemingway
While it's not unusual to find Hemingway on a reading list, you almost never find In Our Time on this list, which I think, is one of his best. It was written very early on in his career and contains short stories all loosely connected by vignettes. While I dislike Hemingway as a person very much, I can't deny his incredible writing talent.

 

7. The Lamplighter by Maria Susana Cummins 
This is a very long, and semi-forgotten, novel of nineteenth century America. It's a Dickens-esque drama written by a female author about a female character. Although it's long, it is quite enjoyable and was a huge success during its time. This is a key domestic novel in the era of the independent women writer. See this post for more on these independent women writers.

8. Memoirs of a Beatnik by Diane di Prima
This novel has such an interesting back story, I suggest you read my review (linked above) before reading this novel. This is not a truthful memoir, but what was requested of di Prima from her publisher and it perfectly embodies di Prima's struggle as a woman poet in the male lead Beatnik era.

9. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Sparks 
Another short novel that packs a punch, although a quieter punch than some of the others. This novel is such an interesting look at the complicated feelings between children regarding adults.



10. Trifles by Susan Glaspell 
This one act play is about as clever as it gets. I loved this play when I read it for the first time and thought I had never read anything quite as true and clever in my life. It's heavy feminist themes were perfect for its 1916 debut and current times. 

10 comments:

  1. I'm hoping to read We Have Always Lived in Castles this Halloween season. Nice list and thanks for sharing some of your faves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ethan Frome was actually required reading for me-- but for the life of me, I couldn't tell you anything about the plot. That's the only problem with required reading (especially in high school!). It was hard for me not to hate a book when I was forced to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I enjoyed my required reading in college more so than in high school, but required always takes some of the fun out of it.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I have a BA in English, which means I spent A LOT of time reading classics in college. None of these, though. In fact, I haven't read any of them at all. Yikes! Guess I need to get my rear in gear, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what makes them hidden gems! College reading lists seems to always feature the same novels!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Yes, We Have Always Lived in the Castle was an incredible story. I'm always surprised by people who haven't heard of it yet. It definitely deserves more attention than its currently receiving.

    The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie sounds good as well. I've added it to my TBR list. :)

    Here is our TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Jackson's works seem to be underappreciated. Hope you enjoy Jean Brodie!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I've never read any of these - guess I got a good place to start! :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get around to a couple of these!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete